Posts

Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Flock of Sparrows: A New Tattoo

I have been contemplating getting another tattoo for quite a while and after much research I have narrowed my decision to a flock of swallows. This is why:

- Traditionally, a person would get a swallow tattoo after making a long significant journey (like completing graduate school!).

- Swallows are monogamous, which is rare among bird species. They will choose one mate and nest with no others. Thus, they are often symbols of loyalty and fidelity. This is also why I am choosing to start my "flock" of swallows - starting with 4, one for me, my husband, and our 2 dogs. As our family expands so will the tattoo :)

- Because sailors would look for swallows as signs that land was nearby, they are also symbolic of hope and freedom.

- In Egyptian mythology swallows are symbolic of fertility and a renewal of life (with my fertility treatments I could use all the help I can get!!)

I know the image I like but my next challenge is placement. I want to keep this tattoo small and I am currently debating between placement on my foot, back, ribcage, hip (I would do my wrist but I have one there already!). If you have any thoughts or comments please let me know!!!!

Inspiration


So beautiful.



I heart this.


Unique placement on the rib cage.

I love the idea of the back but I can't decide where!

Great silhouette image and placement.

I just like the placement of this, on the side of the middle back.


Again, I like this unusual placement on the ribcage.


1 comment:

  1. it might get streched out when you have your babies wont it? let me know where you decide I want to get something similar

    ReplyDelete