Posts

Monday, May 24, 2010

Trying to Paint, Again.









I grew up with a mother who could create the most stunning oil paintings (on a very large scale) in less than a few hours. It was truly an amazing thing to watch life emerge on her canvas during my childhood.
However, I never really loved it myself. No - I actually don't like painting all. But being as I am in graduate school for art therapy I'm making an honest attempt to better familiarize myself with the mediums that I am least comfortable with. Recently I've been teaching myself to sew (with some help from a few amazing ladies), but tonight I decided to face my painting fears.

I chose to paint in the style of one of my favorite portrait artists, Anh Duong. I love the way that she uses the background color as a ground for her portraits. I also appreciate the surprising tonalities she utilizes. This painting didn't start out as a self-portrait, but by the end I saw a lot of myself in it. I still don't think painting is one of my favorite (or even close to it) mediums, but it was nice to revisit an old childhood friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment