Posts

Monday, June 7, 2010

Perspectives: Response to Gulf Coast Oil Spill




I created the above images in response to the Gulf Coast oil spill. Honestly, my only response to this tragedy is sheer anger and disappointment. While I am most angry at BP, I am also upset with our government for not regulating or setting higher safety standards that could help prevent these types of disasters.

The only other way I can look at this is - what can we learn from it? Why did it happen? Perhaps it was wake-up call of sorts. A disaster like this makes us aware of our over-dependence on oil and the costs associated with such a dependence. Maybe, in a way, we need to all own our tiny share of responsibility for this dependence, which leads to maneuvers like off-shore drilling.

I would be interested to know how alternative energy lobbyists are going to use the oil spill. Maybe it will serve as an eye-opener for those who were unwilling to consider alternative sources prior to the spill. Lastly, I'm a little scared. It scares me that we have the best and brightest minds in the world working to stop something that we started - and we just keep failing. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but with increasingly disturbing images being shown in the media it's hard to remain hopeful.

Check out the other Perspectives ladies at: Chelsea, Phoenix Peacock, Donica, and Jessica

1 comment: